Friday, June 22, 2007
Monday, June 18, 2007
Eight Things Aboot Me
The rules are as follows:1. Nearly every morning, the Marvel Comics supervillain The Grey Gargoyle crosses my mind (his superpower was the ability to turn anything to stone with a touch -- most mornings, at least a couple of my limbs always feel like he's paid a visit...)
• Each player creates a list of eight random personal facts/habits.
• At the end of your post, list eight people who you want to tag to also do this meme.
• People who are tagged will write their own list of eight personal facts/habits and, if they have a blog of their own, post these rules and their list.
2. I'm quite prone to 'double-dipping' from the chip dip *and* the peanut butter jar. [Ducks the slings and arrows of the health conscious and the OCD-ers...]
3. In my early twenties, I spent almost two years (including a summer at the state fair) working in an ecumenical Christian musical theater group called The Ohio Youth Ministry: acting, singing, playing piano (and occasionaly giving sermons on the subject of whether or not Jesus had a sex life [usually saved those fer the more conservative congregations -- heh, heh...])
4. I've actually quoted Gertrude Stein in the chatbox of an on-line poker site (the particular line I believe was: "It makes it well fish"...)
5. It bothers me that I can't hear in my auditory memory any of the "Tiger of the Pacific" tune from the TV series "McHale's Navy" other than a vicious earworm tapeloop of the refrain: "Quentin McHale!"...
6. The other night when I was playing on-line poker, I noticed I had $6660 worth of chips, so I bet $600 on a crappy hand just to get rid of that '666'... and wound up winning the pot(!)...
7. I've had this idea for a cello piece for weeks now where the melody would be based on a series of dice rolls, but I've been putting off working on it because: 1) I can't decide how I'd come up with the piano accompaniment, and 2) I've been too lazy to roll the dernded dice (or even write a computer program to do it fer me...)
8. I've tried -- really I have -- but I can't think of anything I would eat that I wouldn't try putting chili powder and/or garlic powder on it too...
...and as usual, I'm gonna weasel outta naming taggees -- if'n yah wanna duzzits, then duzzits (dernded yer vermint hides, anyhoo! [spurs his horse and gallops into the sunset, cackling wildly...])
Friday, June 15, 2007
In Case Anyone Was Curious...
01. (The) Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)
02. Annie Hall (1977)
03. (The) Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969)
04. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
05. (The) January Man (1989)
06. Mad Dog Time (1996)
07. MASH (1970)
08. Rain Man (1988)
09. Rio Bravo (1959)
10. Top Secret! (1984)
I guess I need to give more hints next time -- the only successful guess I got was from my wife, who nailed #5 (but then, I think we watched that one together, so...)
Monday, June 11, 2007
Not The First Time My Common Sense Has Ever Been Called Into Question...
Nom Anor is a member of the intendant caste of the Yuuzhan Vong, a brutal, warrior-based alien society that despises all lifeless forms of technology. In planning for their invasion of a galaxy far, far away, the Yuuzhan vong sent Nom Anor in as a pre-emptive strike to destabilize various world governments and sow the seeds of chaos. Being both a manipulator and master of covert tactics allowed Nom Anor to accomplish much of his task before the primary forces of the Yuuzhan Vong arrived, although he did have some mixed results in some of his plans.
Cunning and crafty by nature, Nom Anor earns moderate marks in evilness and a high score in intelligence. However, some of his mistakes were avoidable if he had simply thought them through, leading to a moderate score for common sense.
Does the warmaster truly wish a disquisition upon the New Republic's perverse system of government? It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens.
Source of Overlord: Star Wars: New Jedi Order Series (Books)
Link: The Evil Overlord Test written by veqhturi on OkCupid Free Online Dating, home of the The Dating Persona Test
Saturday, June 09, 2007
Hey! Look! Something Resembling A Real Post! Who'da Thunkit?...
Actually got a helpful hint from another player that I wuz giving away my bluffs, because I wasn't betting as much when I bluffed as I would when I actually *had* the hand -- so now I deliberately bet my bluffs *identical* to how I would with the real deal, and my game has improved considerably with just that one change.
Haven't been on NLOP fer ages since I got peeved at their customer service department over a poorly handled technical issue I had with them -- with customer support being part of my own job, I'm probably less tolerant of imperfection in that area than most -- the wife was playing on that site too, so if she ever decides to try and work with them on the issue, I might go back -- but fer now, I've got accounts at four other sites under the name 'Rex Ferric' ('rex_ferric' at PartyPoker), which I will now list here along with my current 'play money' balance at each:
Full Tilt Poker - 17416
Bodog Poker - 9500
UltimateBet - 2175
PartyPoker - 1021.97
And just fer giggles, here's some of my Bodog 'player profile':
Favorite poker player: Jennifer Harman
Favorite athlete: Sasha Cohen
Drink of choice: Coca-Cola
Ideal vacation: Naantali, Finland
Vehicle of choice: candy-apple green VW bug
Hottest celebrity: Susie Gharib
Favorite quote: GRAVITY: Not just a good idea -- it's the law...