Sunday, October 29, 2006

One Whole Day Wasted Having A Migraine & Hiding From The Mini-Ghouls In Sugar-Lust Frenzy Mode...

Maybe it's just me, but I've never *gotten* Halloween -- even when I was young enough to supposedly enjoy the free candy and the dress-up, there was always something about the latently (and sometimes *not* so latently) coercive aspect of the whole Trick-or-Treat experience that, even at my youngest, reminded me of nothing so much as the annoyance that is a cold-calling door-to-door salesman. Unless my memory is seriously off (and I'd honestly be hard-pressed to counter-argue the point, frankly), my interior thought process was always more along this line:

You've got candy you want to give me? Okay, that's cool.

You *don't* have any candy to give me? Okay, that's cool too.


And if I got something I didn't like (like anything with mint or coconut) or was allergic to (like apples or oranges), I just gave those away to whichever other kids I was with would take them -- usually (but not always) whoever I gave them to felt some obligation to quid pro quo, but I don't recall ever keeping score meself in that regard (of course, the fact that I believe the reason it took me until my early *20's* to learn the whole please/thank you/you're welcome liturgy was due to a still-unofficially-diagnosed case of autism might color this observation a tad...)
Something I think I *do* get is poker -- now that the Milkwaukee's Best Light poker tourney is over, I'm more than a little disappointed that, after qualifying for the weekly finals the first two weeks I played, I failed to make the cut the final three weeks straight, but I think I learned enough from the experience to take into some other poker sites (provided US lawmakers don't run the whole industry into the ground under the grossly-mistaken arguement that online poker is somehow less moral than state lotterys and on-line horse race betting) -- did also have to promise the wife that after the ridiculous hours I spent on this last tournament, I'd only play on the weekends from here on out...
Speaking of addictive behaviors, I really should make myself one of those poker chip things they have in AA and label it "1 Month without WWE/ECW Programming" -- haven't really missed it much at all, and I think I'm a solid TNA wrestling convert (can't hardly wait to see what happens when they finally go prime-time in early November on Spike TV...)

3 Comments:

Blogger .ck. said...

Replacing one addiction with another, eh?...

1:30 AM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my husband used to play online ALL the time. now he's addicted to online backgammon instead. :D

12:36 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Andrew Ironwood said...

.ck. -- of course; that's what us addictive personalities *do*, ain't it?...

webmiztris -- G-d, I ain't played backgammon since college (which is the last time I knew the flippin' rules; maybe it was that funny-smelling cloud in the dorms that made that game easier to comprehend [grin]...)

9:34 PM, October 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home